When you find yourself in an unhappy situation, life's not going the way you through it would ... a happiness boost is possible. Here are some strategies to consider:
1. Remind yourself of reasons to be grateful. When things look really dark, it’s hard to feel grateful, but remembering what’s good in your life can help put problems into perspective.
2. Remember your body. Take a twenty-minute walk outside to boost your energy and dissolve stress. Don’t let yourself get too hungry & get enough sleep.
3. Do something fun. Temporarily distract yourself from the stress, and re-charge your battery, with an enjoyable activity. Watching a funny movie is a reliable way to give yourself a pleasant break, and listening to your favourite music is one of the quickest ways to change your mood.
4. Take action. If you’re in a bad situation, take steps to bring about change even if they are baby steps, a plan that is started is better then no plan at all.
5. Look for meaning. Re-frame an event to see the positive along with the negative.
6. Connect with friends and family. Strong relationships are a key to happiness, so fight the impulse to isolate yourself. Show up. Make plans. Ask for help, offer your help to others.
7. Make something better. If something in your life has gotten worse, try to make something else better – and it doesn’t have to be something important. Clean a closet. Organize your photographs. Work in the yard.
8. Act toward other people the way you wish they’d act toward you. When you’re feeling very low, it can be hard to muster the energy to help someone else, but you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel. Do good, feel good; it really works.
Hello! As a caregiver, mother and social service worker I have learned many life lessons through hands on experience. My dream for you is to make your journey through caregiving a cherished one.