If you start planning early enough, even when you don’t think anything is ever going to happen, then you have the peace of mind of knowing that you’re prepared. All families can benefit from a binder like this, the following are some information you will need:
1. Information for the person who holds the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care. 2. Family Contact Information List all of the people who need to be called in case of emergency.
3. Medical Contact Information Include names, addresses, phone numbers of all the doctors your care recipient sees. Be sure to include dentist, eye doctor, ear doctor etc.
4. Insurance Information Names, policy numbers and where they are kept.
5. Medications First note where you keep the medications. Secondly, list the name of the drug, the dosage and how frequently these should be dispensed to your loved one.Thirdly, add any medications that they may be allergic to.
In addition, list the pharmacy and hospital names and addresses.
6. Testing needs If your loved one requires high blood pressure or diabetes testing, list the frequency and target ranges.
7. Meals and Food First list all foods that are not allowed due to allergies or drug interaction. List the times of day your loved one eats and some examples of typical menus they enjoy. Be sure to note if your loved (especially in dementia cases) prefers to eat from a certain bowl or dish.
8. Daily Routine Be sure to include detailed instructions for toileting requirements, transfers, showers, dressing, etc. If your loved goes for a walk the same time each day or watches a certain television program please note it. Some dementia patients prefer to watch television without the sound… if so, please note this.
9. Pet/Childcare: Additionally, if you have a pet, it would be wise to include information regarding care and feeding. And also, the name and phone of someone who could look after your pet or some boarding options if necessary. Daycare or babysitter name and number incase of a family emergency arises.
Its never to early to start your family emergency kit, other options are instructions incase of a fire/local police numbers. Children and seniors feel this family binder is a good safety net for them, place in an area they can see it everyday.
Hello! As a caregiver, mother and social service worker I have learned many life lessons through hands on experience. My dream for you is to make your journey through caregiving a cherished one.