You said yes to being a caregiver to a loved one but where do you go from here: Begin with these 5 Tips:
1. Begin by making a decision to STOP being the sole caregiver.
2. Set up a support team – people who will help you when you need it.
3. Never assume that people know you need help. Make a list of 5 people who you trust to help you out and then be specific about what you would like those people to do and ASK! Trust that your friends and family want to help you, but maybe they don’t know how.
4. Decide that it’s okay if everything isn’t done perfectly. Seriously, what is going to happen if things aren’t done perfectly? The truth is that they weren’t perfect to begin with. Show up and be the best you can be and then cut yourself some slack so you, too, can LIVE!
5. Make a point of finding something to be grateful for each and every day. Stockpile the things you’re grateful for and read them on the bad days. Your gratitude will save you. You can’t be grateful and worried at the same time.
Perfection and worry are perfect partners. They nurture each other and they destroy happiness. Be open to the journey of caregiving. Be grateful for the opportunity to be the ultimate gift in a loved one’s life.
You can do it!
Hello! As a caregiver, mother and social service worker I have learned many life lessons through hands on experience. My dream for you is to make your journey through caregiving a cherished one.